The Secret Lunge Exercise
This is an exercise that I found way back in the 90’s when I used to train on the track. Back then I learned many secret exercises to help park muscle growth, but as time has gone by, they seem to have faded slightly in my mind. But recently, I had a trip down memory lane and began to reminisce of how obsessed I was when executing all of those exercises to help keep my performance up. As my thoughts ran wild, I remembered how I used to lunge down the track for 30metres a set. ‘PAIN’!
And then another exercise came to mind.
The Side Lunge
Many of you are probably used to performing lunges which involves stepping forward and then stepping back. That is a great exercise yes, but to stimulate your muscles you will need to innovate and show them something new. Open them up to the world as such.
Side lunges work the muscles of your hips and thighs from an all-new angle. This, of course, can spark muscle growth, as well as improve the stability of your knees–lowering your risk of injury.
Now, this exercise doesn’t look to difficult to perform, and doesn’t necessarily require the use of weights either. But don’t be fooled. Just like my favorite beverage Long Island Ice Tea, it will break you down before you can even begin to notice. But that’s a good thing, as you will always be faced with a challenge.
Enough talk from me. Here’s how you do it
The Dumbbell Side Lunge
- Grab a pair of dumbbells and hold them at arm’s length next to your sides, your palms facing each together.
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart and pointed straight ahead.
- Lift your right foot and take a big step to your right as you push your hips backward and lower your body by dropping your hips and bending your knees. Push yourself back up to the starting position as quickly as you can.
- Your lower right leg should remain nearly perpendicular to the floor.
- Your left foot should remain flat on the floor.
- Try to lower your body until your right thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Do all your reps with your right leg, then perform the movement by lunging with your left leg.
- 3 sets
- 8-10 reps
Make sure you push your hips back as you lower your body and be sure to keep your lower back naturally arched as you perform the exercise.
And for those of you who are interesting in growing the size of your butt… this will help with that too.
See you in the comments.
Incoming search terms:
- side lunges (330)
- side lunge (65)
- lunges exercise (35)
- side lunge exercise (31)
- side lunges exercise (26)