The Lazy Boy Workout
Although I frequently encourage you to be super dedicated, super disciplined and a Conan barbarian, there will be days when you just won’t feel like hitting the gym with that much intensity and enthusiasm. If you don’t get days like that then you probably really are a robot and certainly not human, or maybe you just don’t have a life (saddo).
Because of this, you will need to find a solution to maintain your newly chiseled body and there’s no better place to find that than within the comforts of your own home.
Introducing the Lazy Boy Workout
Now… before you get all excited and think that you will have it easy, just from seeing the word ‘lazy’, think again! You might have the privilege of performing these exercises right after watching a football game or a great movie all from the comfort of your couch, but do not be mistaken. These exercises will challenge you like most others and you may rightfully add these to your list of unique bodyweight exercises.
The sofa dips are the next best thing to do when you don’t have access to a dip bar stand. And if you are right by your sofa, then you can swing right into action and perform them.
- Begin by positioning yourself on the floor with your back to the sofa
- Then put your hands on the edge of the sofa so that your elbows are bent.
- When you are in a comfortable position, straighten your elbows and raise your body off of the ground so that you are ready to start the triceps dips.
- Perform these dips by lowering your butt to the ground.
- When your arms form a 90-degree angle, you should then push yourself back into position. (That’s the work right there!)
- 3 sets
- 15 reps
Then increase to a higher amount of reps as you become stronger.
There is nothing too trivial about doing sofa squats. You will perform them the same way that you do with floor squats.
- Stand on your couch or put the cushions on the floor and stand on them.
- When you are on the cushions, squat down as low as possible and then raise yourself back up.
- 2 sets
- 12 reps.
Increase as you become stronger
The real challenge and benefit with the sofa squat is that your legs won’t be as stabilized compared to performing floor squats. Because of this, your legs will have to work that little bit extra, and when they do, your muscles will contract much quicker and that is what will give you extra strength gains in your legs.
This is one the exercises that I perform well with at the gym and if this is one of your favourite exercises, you’ll be happy to know you can perform it while relaxing on your sofa. Here’s how.
- Sit so you are on the edge of the couch and your feet are on the ground.
- Lean back so that your body is off-centered. This will increase the difficulty of the leg raises.
- Once you are in position, raise your legs as high off of the ground as possible.
- When you have raised your legs as high as possible, lower them back into position
The challenge here is that you won’t have the extra support of the weights machine, so expect some hardship with this exercise.
2 sets of 8 reps and increase with strength.
This exercise is simple. Raise up, then raise back down. But how you do the exercise is what will determine how hard your abs will be worked. The sofa sit up is a challenging way to build some rock hard abs, and again… all from the comfort of your sofa.
- Sit on the arm of the sofa while facing towards the middle.
- With your arms behind your head or crossed over your chest, lean back until you are as low as you can go.
- Raise yourself back up and repeat.
Just make sure that you don’t raise your self too low, or you might just fall off of your sofa. In any case, be sure to film yourself while doing this exercise. You could just be the next 5-minute Youtube.com celebrity if you do have a funny fall. 😉
You all know how to do a push up, but with this sofa exercise you can effectively work your upper and lower chest muscles. Here’s how.
- Put your feet up on the sofa while placing your hands on the floor.
- Then perform normal push-ups.
This will allow you to work your upper chest area in the same fashion as the incline bench.
3 sets of 10 reps and increase with strength.
Place your hands on the sofa with your toes on the ground and perform a normal push up. These push-ups will allow you to work both the lower and outer chest areas.
3 sets of 8 reps and increase with strength.
These are all great lazy boy exercises and as time goes on, I will definitely share more of these with you. After all, we will all be a lazy boy (or girl) at some stage during our weightlifting routines.
What unique exercises do you perform at home?
Leave your thoughts, ideas or recommendations in the comments.
Incoming search terms:
- Lazy Boy Workout (51)
- lazy boy exercise (17)
- lazy boy exercise chair (3)
- lazy chair sit ups#spf=1 (2)
- lazy boy workouts (1)
- lazy boy routine (1)
- couch dips (1)
- how can a lazy boy could built fitbody (1)
- exercises for lazy boy (1)
- exercise for a lazy boy (1)