5 Foods that Help You Lose Weight
The problem of trying to lose weight through ineffective diets is familiar for too many Americans. It seems that every month there is some new “super diet” introduced that invariably fails to deliver on its promises. Many people who desire to shed some pounds have begun to lose hope and to feel a bit disillusioned by the whole process. As most people know, dieting is not enough to lose weight – even when it’s a diet that works. A healthy lifestyle is critical, not only to lose the weight, but to keep it off. Exercise, avoiding highly fatty or fried foods, and spending a minimal time in sedentary activities are also key elements to assuring success in achieving your weight loss goals. However, there is even another powerful trick to add to your weight loss arsenal. That is, food that actually helps you in your goal of losing weight. It may seem difficult to believe for some, but once you’ve taken a moment to read what the foods are and how they help people shed their excess weight, the truth behind it will be clear.
So then, if there are actually foods that can help you shed those extra pounds, what are they? You might be surprised at what kind of food you will find in the list. It’s also important to note that these are just a small selection of an even larger category of foods that can help to fight excessive weight gain. Obviously, eating in moderation is also an important part of the process.
1. Beans – Beans are an amazingly effective food for helping with weight loss and preventing excessive weight gain. They are high in protein and fiber which actually means that it will take longer for your body to digest them. The result is that you will feel full for a longer period of time which will help prevent overeating. They are also inexpensive and can be used in conjunction with a variety of foods in a seemingly endless array of delicious dishes.
2. Dark Chocolate – Now, here is a food that you will be surprised to see on a list that has to do with weight loss. It’s important to note that it is dark chocolate mentioned and not milk chocolate. There was a study done in Copenhagen that demonstrated a 15% difference in appetite between people who were given dark chocolate a few hours before a meal. Obviously, this is one where moderation is important, but it’s also good to note that dark chocolate has a considerably less amount of sugar in it than milk chocolate. For chocolate aficionados, dark chocolate is usually considered to have a much richer flavor and is considered by many to be the more satisfying of the two varieties.
3. Nuts – Another great snack that also helps you to lose weight are nuts like pecans, peanuts, almonds or walnuts. Nuts help you to shed pounds in the same way that dark chocolate does. It’s been demonstrated that people who eat nuts as a snack during the day, eat noticeably less when having their regular meals. Again, it’s important to observe that moderation is key. Nuts are high in protein but can also be fattening in large amounts.
4. Apples – Here’s another great way to curb your appetite. A raw apple contains a much higher level of fiber than apple juice or applesauce. Similarly to what was mentioned with beans, higher fiber means slower digestive time which, in turn, means it will take longer for you to become hungry again. The chewiness of the raw fruit also serves a great benefit for those that are trying to lose weight. Chewing a lot sends a signal to your brain that gives it the impression that you are eating a large meal. This also helps keep your appetite down throughout the day.
5. Soup – Another great way to eat less food overall with your dinner is to start with a first course of soup. It’s important that the soup is broth based but beyond that it can be chunky or pureed. Make sure to keep the calories down in the soup so as to not counteract the positive effects with negative ones.